Improving sales performance through robust geographic field sales territory structures
Swagelok is a highly specialised business providing precision pressure regulator products for businesses that have fluid systems at their heart such as power, oil & gas and beverage producers.
In response to changes in management personnel and field sales engineers, Tech4T were asked to review Swagelok Manchester’s geographic territory structure.
What followed was a comprehensive review of their territories and a series of analysis to determine the key customer trends that were behind the sales numbers.
Our project considered;
- How best to align field sales engineers geographically.
- Customer insight, grouping, segmenting and classifying customers by value and opportunity.
- Market penetration.
- Product analysis to drive cross-sell and up-sell initiatives.
- How to balance growth from the existing customer base and converting new business opportunities.
Your can read the full case study here
[pullquote style=”left” quote=”dark”]Graham (Tech4T, MD) and the team have been a pleasure to work with, they are extremely proficient, helpful and responsive[/pullquote]Our project with Swagelok is best summed up by Rebecca Dowling, Marketing Communications Manager for the business.
“Historically our sales territory was divided by sales value and postcodes, in 2011 we identified the need to review and analyse our business model.
We worked with Tech4T who helped us to break the project down into three phases.
1) Visualisation of existing territory
2) Based on the insights gained from phase one, propose a new ‘optimised’ territory structure
3) Implementation of a route planning module to help make our sales engineers more effective when planning calls to customers
Tech4T provided us with the expertise and software to visualise our existing territory which could be sliced and diced in a number of ways.
This gave us a level of analysis and insight we have never had before. Tech4T then worked with us to further understand our needs and aspirations, and came back to us with a proposed new territory structure, that was data driven, customer focused and in line with our business aims.
We implemented phase two are currently in discussions with Tech4T about phase three.
Graham (Tech4T, MD) and the team have been a pleasure to work with, they are extremely proficient, helpful and responsive. They worked tirelessly to understand our business and ensure that the proposed new model worked for us. They were flexible and patient when we needed to make changes, and they demonstrated values that are aligned to our own.
We will continue to work with Tech4T in the future.”